Obesity can be thought of as a chronic disease which can have a negative effect on the body. Some medical problems like hormone imbalances & neurotransmitter deficiencies contribute to obesity. It can significantly shorten an individual’s life span and people with morbid obesity are at a risk of developing a number of serious problems. As such, obesity can be considered as one of the greatest public health challenges of our time. Several causes for obesity and factors involved are as follows:
- If an individual takes more calories than they can burn, they will gain weight.
- Physical inactivity can be strongly correlated with weight gain among people.
- Genetic factors may cause the changes in appetite and fat metabolism that lead to obesity.
- Some people have the habit of eating more during different emotions like, stress, boredom, sadness and anger. This can also result into getting obese.
Health problems associated with Obesity
- Sleep apnea
- Certain types of cancers due hormonal associations
- Heart disease
- Depression ( can be a cause and effect)
- Type 2 diabetes Melli ’tis
- Liver disease
- High blood pressure
- Joint disease
Health history of the patient – A physician reviews the patient’s weight history, exercise habits, weight-loss efforts and eating patterns.
A physical exam – It includes measuring the height of the person, mapping heart rate, blood pressure levels and body temperature.
Body Mass Index – It helps in determining a person’s overall health risk and the level of the obesity.
Blood tests – Some of the common blood tests include a lipid profile including cholesterol test, liver function test, a fasting glucose and a thyroid test. Hormonal studies maybe needed in addition.
Everyone wants to be fit and maintain a good health. For patients with diabetes, a consult with health professionals to understand and make changes in their eating habits is wise. The treatment for an individual depends upon the level of their obesity and overall health. Your physician can advise you, if any medical treatment is required. Eat more fiber and proteins and less fat and carbs. Use olive oil for cooking. Take in calories as per your BMI and burning you do in a day. Eat small light frequent meals rather than v large fatty few meals.
Advise – Burning fat with exercise deals with emotional stress, and exhilarates your mind and body so we would advise you to maintain a healthy body weight, eat a well-balanced diet and exercise regularly.